The world is a work in progress and we are its workers. -Rabbi Matt
Committees are the back bone of our structure at Congregation Gates of Heaven. Consider sharing your talents, abilities, skills, and interests by serving on a congregational committee. Members of the Congregation are encouraged to attend meetings of the Board of Trustees, congregation committees and sub-committees, and task forces that are of interest to them. If you are interested in joining one of these committees, please contact Sue Litynski at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-374-8173.
- Knitting: make hats for the homeless and needy, and shawls for the residents of Daugther's of Sarah Nursing Home. Group meets every Tuesday at noon. You may bring your other projects to work on, share with the group, or even get help from our expert knitters. Don't know how to knit...we can teach you! Bring a bagged lunch. Yarn donations always accepted. For more information, please contact Lee Brice at email@example.com or call her at 518-374-8173.
- Community Garden Gan Chaim (Garden of Life): Each person/family/group will have their own box and everyone contributes a portion of their harvest to those in need. In 2011, eight families with nine boxes produced 160 lbs of veggies for the SICM and Bethesda House meal programs. If you would like to be part of Gan Chaim, contact Bonnie Kohn at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 518-374-8173.
- 2nd Wind: is a Gates social group for adults who are getting their "second wind" after raising families and or delvoping careers. The group gathers monthly or more often to have fun! If you are interested in joining us or have an ideas for fun stuff to do, please contact Sherry Liebman at email@example.com. See temple bulletin or calendar for upcoming dates.
Gates Volunteer Opportunities...
Social Action Committee Initiative
- REGIONAL FOOD BANK: Third Sunday each month from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Whenever you can make it. Help to sort and pack food. Children welcome. If you can help, please contact Eric Siegelman at firstname.lastname@example.org or for additional information on the Regional Food Bank www. Regional Food Bank.net
- PLEASANT VALLEY/KEANE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: mentor reading or math; play chess with kids.
- SCHENECTADY DAY NURSERY: Read to and play with kids.
- BIG BROTHERS/BIG SISTERS: be a Big to a needy Little. Get together twice a month.
- DARFUR EFFORT: help organize educational awareness activities.
- GREEN TEAM: help on a project to make the CGOH community environmental friendly.
- INFO-Op..portunities: visit urban sites (e.g.: DSS, Food Pantry..) to inform families of available community services; 2 hours per month. Training provided. INFO-OP...portunites information booklet
- Visit ailing temple members as needed.
- Make nursing home visits.
- Cook and or deliver meals as needed.
- Drive temple members as needed (to a doctor appointment, Shabbat Services...)
- Shiva arrangements as needed.
- Soup Kitchen - 10:00 am to 1:30 pm 4 times yearly, whenever you can make it. See below.
- Bake for Oneg Shabbat
- Deliver Thanksgiving food baskets to residents at B'nai B'rith House
- Prepare a dish for the annual Thanksgiving Dinner at the Lighthouse homeless men's shelter
- Prepare a dish for the annual December Holiday Dinner at the Lighthouse homeless men's shelter
- Holiday home hospitality-Passover Seder, High Holy Days... for our local college students away from home
- Stuff envelopes: as needed for temple office and various temple groups.
- Make phone calls: as needed for temple office and various temple groups.
- Religious School Library: as needed and Sundays for 10 am to 12 pm.
- Habitat for Humanity: assist with home rehab on Wednesday Evenings or Sundays
Sisterhood Soup Kitchen
The Soup Kitchen is held at the Schenectady Salvation Army. If you are interested in volunteering, or for more information, please contact Sandy Fox at 518-399-0572 or Lynn Grant at email@example.com.
If you are interested in helping out in any of these areas, please contact Kathy the temple office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-374-8173 (unless otherwise noted).