Gates of Heaven Knitting Group
Committees are the backbone of our structure at Gates. Consider sharing your talents, abilities, skills, and interests by serving on a congregational committee. Members of the congregation are encouraged to attend meetings of the Board of Trustees, congregation committees and sub-committees, and task forces that are of interest to them. If you are interested in joining one of these committees, please contact our Executive Director, Laura Ehrich at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-374-8173.
- Knitting: make hats for the homeless and needy, and shawls for the residents of Daugther’s of Sarah Nursing Home. Group meets every Tuesday at noon. You may bring your other projects to work on, share with the group, or even get help from our expert knitters. Don’t know how to knit…we can teach you! Bring a bagged lunch. Yarn donations always accepted. For more information, please contact Lee Brice at email@example.com or call her at 518-374-8173.
- Community Garden Gan Chaim (Garden of Life): Each person/family/group will have their own box and everyone contributes a portion of their harvest to those in need. In 2011, eight families with nine boxes produced 160 lbs of veggies for the SICM and Bethesda House meal programs. If you would like to be part of Gan Chaim, contact temple office at 518-374-8173.
- 1st Wind: is a Gates social group for adults under the age of 40 and is open to both Gates members and non-members. See temple newsletter or calendar for upcoming events.
- 2nd Wind: is a Gates social group for adults of any age over 18years old who are Gates members only. See temple newsletter or calendar for upcoming events.
- Sisterhood Book Clubs: We have both AM and PM book clubs. The AM Club meets once a month and the PM club meets every other month. See our temple newsletter for upcoming meeting, books selections, and contact information.
SOCIAL ACTION COMMITTEE INITIATIVES
- REGIONAL FOOD BANK: Third Sunday each month from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Whenever you can make it. Help to sort and pack food. Children welcome. If you can help, please contact Eric Siegelman at firstname.lastname@example.org or for additional information on the Regional Food Bank www. Regional Food Bank.net
- PLEASANT VALLEY/KEANE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: mentor reading or math; play chess with kids.
- SCHENECTADY DAY NURSERY: Read to and play with kids.
- BIG BROTHERS/BIG SISTERS: be a Big to a needy Little. Get together twice a month.
- DARFUR EFFORT: help organize educational awareness activities.
- GREEN TEAM: help on a project to make the CGOH community environmentally friendly.
- INFO-Op..portunities: visit urban sites (e.g.: DSS, Food Pantry..) to inform families of available community services; 2 hours per month. Training provided. INFO-OP…opportunites information booklet
SISTERHOOD VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITES
- Visit ailing temple members as needed.
- Make nursing home visits.
- Cook and or deliver meals as needed.
- Drive temple members as needed (to a doctor appointment, Shabbat Services…)
- Shiva arrangements as needed.
- Soup Kitchen – 10:00 am to 1:30 pm 4 times yearly, whenever you can make it
- Bake for Oneg Shabbat
- Deliver Thanksgiving food baskets to residents at B’nai B’rith House
- Prepare a dish for the annual Thanksgiving and December holiday dinner at the Lighthouse homeless men’s shelter
- Holiday home hospitality-Passover Seder, High Holy Days… for our local college students away from home
- Stuff envelopes as needed for temple office and various temple groups.
- Make phone calls as needed for temple office and various temple groups.
If you are interested in helping out in any of these areas, please contact Kathy the temple office at email@example.com or call 518-374-8173 (unless otherwise noted).